Key Considerations when Preparing for an IEP Meeting
Adapted from Pacer Center’s Transitioning from Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) to Kindergarten: Tips for Parents of Children with Challenging Behaviors
- Discuss with your child’s preschool teacher on ways to help ensure a smooth transition to KG. Plan a meeting prior to KG to help plan the transition.
- Provide a list of strengths and areas of challenges as well as what has been successful for your child in their current early childhood program.
- Ensure your child's records (including mental health medical records) are current and have them readily available.
- Attend a school open house or information night. Schedule a tour of the program your child will enroll in to help ease the transition. Ask for a copy of the school handbook and event calendar to familiarize yourself with school offerings prior to enrollment.
Questions to Ask
- How can supports and strategies that have been successfully implemented in my child’s early childhood program continue in Kindergarten?
- What supports will be needed and how will the school support my child in order for success in Kindergarten?
- What academic and educational goals does the IEP team have for my child given their challenging behavior?
- How can I help ease the transition to Kindergarten? What further insight and information can I provide to help make it a smooth transition?
- What additional community programs are available to help support my child in their areas of challenges?
More information and resources related to challenging behaviors and special education can be found by visiting PACER.org/cmh
For a link to our printable PDF click here: IEP Questions to Ask